Wednesday, November 09, 2005

And the Walls Came Tumbling Down



On Sunday morning, an old Memphis Hospital was imploded... the biggest implosion in the country this year. Baptist Memorial Hospital, has been standing tall (and deserted) since I moved to Memphis. I drive by it every day on my way to the Speech and Hearing Center. Now it is just a pile of rubble. I admit it gives me a very eerie feeling looking at pictures of the implosion of this building and now looking at the rubble which will take nearly a year to clean up, and think about how small a scale it is compared to what happened at WTC a few years ago.

Also, I saw a very wide load make it's way down Union Avenue, escorted on both sides by the Memphis police - it was a very large TREE. HAHA what a site to see, I later read that it made it's home in front of the FedEx Forum. The thing was so big it nearly tore down a traffic light on it's way. I think it's a little early for Christmas, but that's just me. It must be fun to watch them haul in the Rockefeller Center tree (I think they actually fly that one in).

In other news, it was Tom's birthday yesterday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!!! Poor guy is so worn out getting ready for his dissertation defense, I am looking forward to celebrating with him in December. It's nice to have a friend with the same career path as mine, we can vent to each other about job related crap.

Hard to believe that a month from today I will be in Colorado. Wow! It will be the farthest from 'home' that I have ever been. So many people are excited that I will be out there and have said they will want to come visit me... I hope they do =)

Things are looking up for Sam as he continues to hope for a finalized dissertation defense date on December 6th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him, he has worked so hard... if any of you out there are reading this and know him say a little prayer for him. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home