Quitters never win and Winners never quit
I had a hard time trying to think of the right title for today's blog. I considered using "winning isn't everything" or "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"...
WHY?
Well this past weekend I reclaimed the fire and enthusiasm that I had lost for taekwondo. Three years ago I was sparring at the CTF National Championships. I was in the adult female green and blue belt division and was sparring for the third place medal. In the middle of the match I landed badly on my left foot and my ankle collapsed. In much pain, but with too much dignity to quit, I finished out the match (karate kid style) only I didn't win.. I lost. A week later I was in a boot cast with torn ligaments in my left ankle. I had vowed I would not spar again in competion.
What caused me to decide that? Fear of losing? Fear of getting hurt? Hmmm I think a little of both. This past weekend, for the first time since then, I sparred in competition. Did I win? Nope. I actually came in fourth (again). Did it hurt? Hell no! I was so elated that I faced my fears. In the first round I was paired up with the same competitor who I got hurt against three years ago (talk about coincidence). She beat me, but I scored three points on her and actually made a match of it. (the girl went on to win the division).
I didn't win, I didn't even place, but I had so much fun! I proved to myself that I could do it. I was able to see that I had indeed improved in my sparring skills (despite my constant personal struggles in thinking that my sparring skills were very sub-par). If I could make a match of it with the competitor who went on to win the division, I can't be that bad right?
The next sermon series at church is going to be entitled GET IN THE GAME. Last weekend I got myself in the game, and it was great. I only have one more tournament that I can compete in before I move, so I am looking forward to ending my taekwondo experience in Memphis with a bang, now that I finally allowed myself to get back in the game. I forced myself to get rid of the quitter mentality and I feel like I truly came out a winner.
Now if only I can "get back in the game" of finishing my dissertation....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home