Friday, March 02, 2007

The BIG News. . .

It's been a while since I blogged, I guess life has been pretty busy lately. The big news is that Cullen proposed on Valentine's Day, so we are now engaged to be married =)

Most people want to know... how did he do it? Well he made reservations at the same place we went to on our first date, Old Chicago's. It's kinda a family restaurant/sports bar place.. nothing fancy but I thought it was sentimental that he decided to take me there for Valentine's Day. When we got there I noticed that he had reserved the SAME table we had sat at during that first date. I was pretty impressed that he remembered those details. We sat down and I told him I thought it was really cute that he did that, and then silly me I go ahead and say "you know I always thought you might do something like this when you decided to propose" - he didn't give away anything but that comment must have about killed him.

We got through dinner and then he decided he wanted to have dessert. I was stuffed, and tried to get him to opt out of dessert, but he was kinda insistent. The waiter asked him if he wanted to see a menu and he said "yeah, and I spoke to JD about this" -- immediately that was a red flag --- "who is JD?" I asked. I KNEW something was up, but I still didn't think he was going to propose. I thought he just had some quirky V-day trick up his sleeve.

Our server comes out with another server and stands at the end of the table. They say Thanks for choosing Old Chicago's and that they have something to read. So they begin reading this scripted poem back and forth that Cullen had written. At the end of the poem Cullen came over got on a knee and said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and asked if I would marry him. I said "of course I will marry you!" We clumsily embrace (as we are in the middle of this crowded restaurant with many onlookers). Everyone claps. He goes and sits back down and slips the ring on my finger. Then the manager comes to our table to tell us one of the patrons picked up our bill. One day we'll be out to dinner and see a different couple get engaged and we'll have to do the same =)

My family already all knew. I made my phone calls because they were all waiting for the news, but I couldn't surprise them with it. Oh well. We are both very happy... the wedding date is set for June 2008.

Other news? Well I had another promotional testing at Karate last night. I am now an advanced Orange belt - one step down from Purple belt. When I get my Purple belt I will be considered an 'intermediate' student. It will take another full year of training to make it to Red belt which is the first belt for 'advanced' student status. I'm really enjoying it - moving up the ranks with my friends Ann and Andy. Cullen has said he will give it a whirl this summer, so that will be really fun.

Nothing more to say except, TGIF!

2 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

congratulations! Sam told me and we were both excited for you. I am sure I will see you next month and maybe meet your man! Have fun planning the wedding..will it be n NY?

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Tina and Cullen said...

Yes the wedding will be in NY =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home