I'm in a Colorado State of Mind...
Well one week until Christmas, and I made it all the way back to the East Coast for the holiday festivities. But can I really enjoy myself and relax? Not really... I'm too stressed out about crap related to work. I have one student who tried to play me for a fool telling me some sob story about how if she wasn't able to find a way to improve her grade in my class (she got a D) then she wouldn't be able to graduate on time. I happen to know that D is considered passing. It's one thing to ask for consideration, it's another to lie in order to get it. I will have this same student in class next semester. I hope she learns from her mistakes.
It is also that time of year to do annual evaluations. I have never done one of these before, and I somehow thought ours would be due Jan 15th. That would give me a week to take care of it when I return from my break. Unfortunately they are due on the 10th (two days after I get back). Of course, all the materials I need to refer to for this project are SOMEWHERE in my office... so there will be a mad dash to complete that upon my return.
What else???? Oh yeah I have about 7-10 students who want me to write letters of recommendation for them - at 3-4 schools a piece. That means I may have up to 40 letters to dish out. Most aren't due until February, but a few have January 15th deadlines and the students are already harrassing (er gently reminding) faculty about them. I know how stressful that is for them and I do plan on getting the letters done on time - they are on my "to do" list for this week so they are DONE before Christmas.
Next semester I am going to be SUPER busy. I am doing some clinic supervision for ABR testing. I have to set up my lab (yay!). I am teaching 5 different classes. That's right FIVE. I am not doing them all by myself (only 2 of them are all mine - 3 are team taught), but that makes my schedule hell. One of them I have to prep from scratch, and it's not my most favorite of topics... so I have my work cut out for me.
I miss Cullen too. I know it's so silly for me to complain about, I mean a measly 10 days away. My poor parents suffered through months when my Dad was in the Navy. But still... I miss him. I am sooooo excited that he's coming to visit after Christmas. I just can't wait for him to meet my family.
I guess the bottom line is I am in New York but have Colorado on the brain... you could say that I am in a Colorado State of Mind =)
P.S. My friend Todd sent out a note yesterday about his mom passing away. It's sad and scary to be of an age where my friends are losing their parents. There was a point in my life when Todd and I were really close, and I have fond memories of his mother and spending time at his parents' old house in Monsey, NY before they moved out to AZ. My thoughts and prayers are with Todd and his family today.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home