Friday, March 16, 2007

Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy

So we have a test in Audiology called Electronystagmography (ENG for short). The purpose of the test is to evaluate the vestibular system. People who complain of being dizzy are typically referred for ENG testing. The last part of the evaluation is a subtest called calorics. The name comes from the fact that you are presenting either warm or cold stimulus to the ear to stimulate the horizontal semicircular canal. It will cause a person to feel dizzy and as a clinician we instruct our patients that feeling of unsteadiness or dizziness is not uncommon...

I have given many of these tests, though never sat through the entire battery as a patient. We got new ENG/VNG equipment in our clinic and in order to help train some students, I served as guinea pig. Typically there are four caloric conditions, cold in each ear and warm in each ear. I got through cold in the right ear and just would not go on. I got REALLY dizzy and nauseous. In fact about an hour and a half later and I still feel a little uneasy. WHEW! I really feel for a person going through an ENG battery now.

In other news, after I leave this afternoon I will officially be on Spring Break. No big plans, but just glad to have a more relaxing week ahead of me. I am going to need it to recover from my ENG today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home