Out of site, out of mind?
September 11, 2005. Four years after the terrible WTC tragedy. I think a good number of people in this country have started to forget. We need to see those awful pictures from time to time so that we can remember, so that we know what we are fighting for in this world. "out of sight, out of mind?" I certainly hope not. In the midst of remembering those who suffered and those who we lost in that day, we deal with another national tragedy in the aftermath of hurricaine Katrina. Living in Memphis I have seen and tried to help with the aid efforts as we house 10,000+ evacuees. My roomate will be going on a relief effort to Mississippi later this month. It is so heartwarming to see when there is truly a need, people do answer the call.
I have been conversing with some friends from college regarding the response by local/state/federal agencies to the LA and MS areas hit hardest by the storm. As an aside, I get the impression that a good number of my friends are liberal-minded, a party comes to mind where I read that they played darts on a dartboard that had our President's face on it (not cool ,in my opinion).... but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. Upon sending an email to the group about "facts vs media" talking about some media half truths and trouble with corrupt Louisiana politics - simply offering a different viewpoint, I was slammed. I have now had Joel compare me to someone who yells FIRE in a crowded room... when people say something like that it just makes my blood boil. I don't mind being shown that something I sent out was incorrect, but I do mind someone telling me I can't send it out... like I purposefully meant to harm my friends? PUH-LEASE!!!
I actually got to spend a week and a half in NY recently. It was nice to spend some time with friends and family. I got to see the four people from college who have shown qualities of true friendship to me over the years, the ones who actually care enough to communicate with me from afar and get together with me during my brief visits to the empire state (Dan, Lynne, Lori, and Rob). It is so hard year after year to try and get in touch with people when they obviously don't care. "Out of site, out of mind" is such a true phrase.

1 Comments:
some interesting things you have to say. nice observations. Its refreshing to look at someone whom can comment on such things as the state of our north south politics fromthe same viewpoint as myself being a displaced new englander in southwest virginia
let us not forget the "good ol' boy network" which works in mysterious "white sheeted ways", then though friends once had in the hustle & bustle of the north quickly forget times once past of old friends
Post a Comment
<< Home