Monday, August 15, 2005

The Future Will Be Better Tomorrow

"The future will be better tomorrow" a cute catchphrase I heard while attending the Phonak University conference in Chicago this past week. It really is a neat phrase when you think about it. We always worry about the future, we try to plan it, to predict it.... but the future is only a product of how we live in the present. We need to live in the present in the best way we know how so that we can try to provide ourselves with a bright future. If we work at being good people on a daily basis, if we make wise decisions, each day will have an additive effect and soon enough our future will get better day by day (it will be better with each new tomorrow) OK now I think I am starting to sound too philospophical, let me give y'all an example...

For most of my adult life I have struggled with my weight. I think everyone has something that they feel holds them back in life... for me it is definitely weight. My self esteem suffers for it, I don't think badly of myself in general, I mean most of the time I think I am a pretty great person - but that doesn't change the fact that when I am surrounded by people I don't know I am constantly in fear that they are viewing me as a fat person not as the person I am inside. It affects the way I interact with people, and I hate it. You can't get away from the stigma. Even Godly people possess it. I was at a singles ministry two weeks ago and was chatting with a resident about how there is a large percentage of overweight people in Memphis... and she said to me "yeah you're skinny compared to a good number of patients that I see" I know she didn't mean any harm when she said it, but thinking back on it, what she said hurt me. She was implying that I was fat, but trying to sugar coat it by saying that there are plenty of people in town 'fatter' than me. Wow, now that makes me feel great. [NOT]

I know that MY future WILL be better tomorrow if I start using my "todays" to tackle my weight problem. I have done it before, quite successfully. I was in the best shape of my life a few years back (right before I met Greg actually). I had a busted ankle at the time, but I was still in great shape. Unfortunately two and a half years of eating out every weekend really took its toll on me. I still do Taekwondo, but I really need to get back into "training" mode and go back to the gym. Sam is training to run a half marathon. I am realistic, I have never been much of a runner, so I haven't gotten on board with 'The Gathering Runners' but maybe I can train for a 10K or something... (a quarter marathon). That would be about 2-3 times as long as I ever continuously ran in my life. I'll have to do some reading on that. Check up on me later to see if I have actually gotten my butt (and the rest of me) back into the gym.

So what do you want to do to make your future better tomorrow?

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also need to get my ass in gear if I want a better tomorrow. I need to work on my prospectus. I keep putting it off and it's making me more and more depressed each day that goes by. I DREAD going back to Chicago and facing the reality of my PhD work when I'm done here. The anxiety I'm dealing with is ridiculous when you consider that I could save myself the trouble by dedicating just an hour or two each day to my project. Anywho, I'm enjoying your blog and learning more about you. And I'm completely jealous that you're so close to finishing your degree!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home