Monday, October 16, 2006

Stupid Injuries

Ok so I was enjoying a soak in the hot tub on Saturday night and start talking about some karate techniques that I've learned. I decided it would be fun to demonstrate my skills and picked a technique called "scraping hoof" which is how to get out of a full nelson. The technique involves a counter attack where you kick out the attacker's knee joint then scrape down their shin to eventually stomp your foot down on their instep and break their ankle. I did not expect the hot tub to be a dangerous place to do this, but apparently it was. As I go to slam my foot down on the imaginary person's ankle, my heel catches a plastic screw or bolt or something on the side of the tub. It wasn't sharp by any means, but with the force my foot was being sent down with, the plastic sliced open my heel pretty nicely. Thankfully I knew there was a first aid kit in the clubhouse and Cullen managed to go get it and doctor it up for me. It was kinda embarrassing, I know not to try any more karate techniques while in the hot tub again.

I am volunteering for a senior level course in the Sports and Exercise Sciences department here at the university. The students get practice in fitness assessment and training, so I am serving as a client for one of the students. I know the professor who teaches the class, so I asked her to put me with one of her best students. She joked with him today to work me really hard. I hope he does. He asked what my goals were and I told him I want to increase my upper body strength - so I can do better pushups. I also want to increase my running pace. Now that I am getting into better shape and I know I can run 3 miles I want to be able to do it faster. Right now my pace is probbaly about 11-12 minute miles. I timed myself on the treadmill and did 3.1 miles in 34 minutes. While I CAN run faster, it is difficult for me. I want him to help me lower my time to 10 minutes as a comfortable pace, then I can work on running that pace over a 5K distance. There is a big 5K race in Greeley July 4th... I hope to run in that next ear. Perhaps Cullen will run it too- that would be cake for him since he ran a marathon a few years ago.

So will I be successful in meeting the goals I've asked my trainer to work on? You'll have to check in with me at the end of the semester =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home